Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Squash Carbonara

Pin It
Yesterday at the store I picked up a butternut squash...I have never cooked with this before so this morning I went on the hunt for a recipe.

I decided to try this one: CLICK HERE

Butternut Squash Carbonara

(makes 2 servings)
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 pound pasta
6 slices bacon (cut into 1 inch slices)
2 cups squash (cut into small pieces)
1 clove garlic (chopped)
1 tablespoon sage (chopped)
pepper to taste
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano

Directions:
1. Start cooking the pasta.
2. Fry the bacon in a pan.
3. Drain most of the fat from the pan but reserve some to cook the squash.
4. Add the squash, garlic, sage and pepper and toss to coat in the bacon grease.
5. Mix the egg yolk, heavy cream and parmigiano reggiano in a bowl.
6. Drain the cooked pasta reserving some of the water.
7. Add the pasta to the pan and toss.
8. Remove the pan from the heat and wait for the sizzling to stop.
9. Add the egg mixture and toss to coat.
10. Add a bit of the pasta water and toss to mix and coat.
11. Garnish with more sage & serve.

I made a few modifications...

I substituted milk for heavy cream because I did not have cream on hand...I also used a little more pasta and added more milk to make a little more sauce. I also added cubed chicken in with the squash. I sprinkled the chicken and squash with minced onion, garlic, salt, pepper and italian seasoning...I did not have sage or fresh garlic on hand. I cooked them in the bacon drippings until the squash was soft and the chicken was cooked through.

I had to google how to peel a butternut squash...slightly embarassed about that, but never the less...a veggie peeler worked just fine.



Evie helped me crumble the bacon and only ate a little along the way! lol


I thought it was delicious! The kids did not care for the squash (of course...rolling eyes) but they tried a few pieces and ate up the pasta and chicken.

I would estimate that this meal was on the table in less than 30 minutes from start to finish!


Finally, for Stephanie...here is Marlon Brando screaming "Stelllllla" in A Streetcar Named Desire. I don't know why...but this is one of those stupid movie things that Todd and I say all the time. Don't ask...I already told you I don't know why! lol

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

The pasta looks delish and the Stella made me laugh. I really need to watch the movie now.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...