Pages

Monday, August 20, 2012

Coastal Inspired Family Room

Pin It

In case you have forgotten or are new to my blog, here is what the family room looked like just a few months ago when we moved in on June 11th.


This is the first room that is starting to feel "done" to me. 
  I love that the room has a cozy feel, but can easily fit 10+ people for movie night!

I was inspired by Thrifty Decor Chick and her plank wall fireplace surround.  Luckily, her detailed instructions made it pretty easy for my husband to install the same thing for our family room in around 2 hours.  At a cost of $80, it adds a lot of detail to the room and really makes the fireplace stand out when you walk in.  (this still needs nail holes filled and painted)



Do you remember the buffet I snagged a few weeks ago on Craiglist for $25?


  It is now happily living in the family room as our tv stand.  I adored the wooden inlay that was on the drawer fronts, but the rest of the buffet was in rough shape.  I decided to sand and paint the body of the piece white and leave the original finish on the rest.  Even though there are still some imperfections on the drawers, I am happy with my decision not to paint them.

The pouf and ottoman double as extra seating and a place to put your feet up, they can be easily moved around as needed.




I am very pleased with these white Extorp chairs from Ikea.  They are comfortable and if I should get a stain on them that cannot be washed out...replacement covers are only $29!

The ottoman also has a removable lid for storage.


I picked up these lanterns on clearance in the garden section of Target



I always keep an eye out at Goodwill for interesting coffee table books.  The large baskets hold reading material that the kids are using or projects they are working on.  Remote controls are a part of life, I grabbed an inexpensive tray from Big Lots to corral them.



Source List: 
Paint Color - Sherwin Williams Upward Blue/75% strength
Large Chevron Rug, RugsUSA  
Striped Curtains - Made from West Elm shower curtains
Bamboo Blinds - Home Depot
Ektorp White Slip Covered Chairs and Ottoman - Ikea
Hemnes Coffee Table - Ikea
Corner Chair - World Market 
Coral Pouf - Privet House for Target
Side Tables - Tables that my mom was no longer using, sprayed with light gray paint and updated with pulls from Hobby Lobby
Lamps - HomeGoods with burlap shades from Target
Map Pictures - DIY from vintage Atlas
Large Round Mirror - Lowes
Accessories - Target, Ikea, Home Goods

Join the PinParty at Fox Hollow Cottage


A huge thank you to Thrifty Decor Chick and her Show Us Your House series for getting me in gear to share pictures of our new family room!  Please stop by her blog to see many more inspiring family spaces.

Thrifty Decor Chick

5 comments:

Stephanie said...

WOW! I love how everything turned out! The plank wall and buffet are unique touches. Can not wait to see the rest!

mccarthy281 said...

That turned out simply GORGEOUS!

Anonymous said...

This room is beautiful! I love how light and airy it is, but the darker pieces like the couch and the doors on the TV stand don't look out of place. Great job!

Alison Agnew said...

what a lovely room
you've created

adore the plank mantle surround
and the mix of patterns

and we have loved
our ektorp sofa
for 10 years
(and going strong)

visiting from
the Pinning Party!

alison

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

This room is really gorgeous. Great colors and accessories without being to over done on the theme. Great pictures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...